Spring has officially sprung and we have a perfectly pink recipe to add a spot of color to your spring table with the added benefits of beets to supercharge your dessert.
A Sweet Treat with Sweet Benefits
Beets are one of the most nutritious vegetables, but you may not think of them when it comes to making a sweet treat. Our Red Beet Crystals offer an easy, natural and nutritious way to add the perfect color to the grand finale for your next gathering.
Crafted from the juice of freshly harvested organic beets, these superfood crystals provide an easy way to bring all the benefits of beets to quick bites, full meals, and drinks alike. (For example, they add a perfect crunch to these energy balls for an afternoon pick-me-up). They are instantly soluble and lend a hint of natural sweetness when mixed into the recipe of your choice. Plus, they’re vegan, non-GMO, and Certified Organic so you can feel good about adding them to anything and everything!
Strawberry Cream Pie
Time to Make: 30 Minutes
Time to Set: At least 6 hours in freezer
Ingredients for the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups graham crackers- crushed
- 6 tbsp butter- melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
Ingredients for the filling:
- 3/4 cup (7 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (9oz) of fresh strawberries
- Juice of 1/2 large lemon
- 1 tbsp Salus Red Beet Crystals
Ingredients for the whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Start by setting a mixing bowl for the whipped cream in the freezer to get nice and cold.
- Crush your graham crackers into crumbs, a food processor works best. Add melted butter and sugar and blend together to make your crust.
- Gently take the graham cracker mixture and press into the bottom and up the sides of a pie dish (9 in. dish works great).
- Set your crust in the fridge and move onto the filling.
- Cut all the tops off your strawberries. Finely chop all your strawberries or put into a food processor to blend into a puree.
- In a large bowl, mix together the strawberries, sweetened condensed milk, & lemon juice.
- Add a large tablespoon of Red Beet Crystals and mix again to combine. At this point, you can add more crystals for a bolder color if you prefer and taste test to see if you’d like to adjust the flavoring.
- Time to create the whipped cream. Remove the chilled mixing bowl from the freezer. Using a stand mixer or hand held mixer add heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to the chilled bowl, whip until the mixture forms fluffy white peaks.
- Gently mix or swirl the whipped cream into the strawberry mixture.
- Carefully pour your Strawberry Cream Pie mixture into the set pie crust. Be careful to not pour over.
- Set in freezer for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Recipe and photographs courtesy of Amy Ortiz
A superfan of our superfood supplement, Amy Ortiz is a photographer, food blogger, and content creator in Asheville, NC. She enjoys living a simple yet enriching life on a farm, raising a multicultural family, and cooking wholesome and delicious homemade food. Amy is the creator of the Señora Amy Ortiz blog, which features an assortment of authentic recipes from around the world and her own original culinary creations. She is also the creator of Spicy Grandmas—a YouTube Channel series—where she learns to cook from the world's most endearing and daring grandmothers.
FOLLOW AMY ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, YOUTUBE: @senoraamyortiz WEBSITE: www.senoraamyortiz.com