Sure, you could just head to the store for hummus. Or you could make it yourself—and make it even more delicious and nutritious, and way more colorful and fun, than the standard spread by using our organic Red Beet Crystals.*
Best of all, this Red Beet Hummus recipe couldn’t be easier to whip up and is completely customizable to your tastes and preferences, or those of your guests. It’s a showstopping starter that’s sure to wow at your next party and makes the perfect snack for at home or at work.
Red Beet Crystals: A Superfood Supplement Ready to Give Your Recipes a Boost
Why do we love beets so much? Let us count the reasons: They’re rich sources of potassium, folate (vitamin B9), vitamin C, magnesium, manganese, iron, and the list of nutrients goes on—not to mention, they taste great and make meals visually striking and vibrant.
Of course, not everyone is a huge fan of the flavor, and fresh beets do take a bit of time to prepare. That’s why we’ve created our organic Red Beet Crystals, a superfood supplement that packs all the benefits of this vegetable into naturally sweet, mild-tasting, and convenient instantly soluble crystals.
In fact, each jar contains the equivalent of 15 cups of organic red beets. The crystals are extracted from the juice of beets freshly after they’re harvested, without the use of heat, solvents, or chemicals, and each serving delivers 280 mg of potassium and 0.2 mg of iron (that’s 6% and 1% of your daily value, respectively).
They’re also vegan, non-GMO, and Certified Organic, so you can feel confident adding them to the drink or dish of your choice. We’re sure you’ll agree, they help make for "unbeetable" homemade hummus.
Red Beet HummusServes 4-6
Not only is this recipe an eye-catching fuchsia color, it’s also mouthwatering, with a rich and creamy base and herby, zesty customizable topping.
Ingredients for the hummus:
- 1 can organic chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), drained
- 1/3 cup organic tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp za’atar seasoning (optional)
- 1 tbsp Red Beet Crystals
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Ingredients for the topping:- High-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- Pine nuts
- Lemon zest
- Fresh garden/organic herbs: chives, basil, oregano
- Za’atar seasoning
- More topping ideas: feta, radishes, flaky salt, sun-dried tomatoes, paprika, parsley, rosemary, green onions, roasted red peppers, kalamata olives… the options are endless
1. Combine chickpeas, tahini, garlic, salt, lemon juice, cumin, za’atar, and Red Beet Crystals in a food processor and blend. For a darker color, use 2 or 3 tablespoons of Red Beet Crystals instead of just 1.
2. Pour the olive oil in a little at a time and continue blending until the mixture is smooth.
3. If needed, add more salt, lemon, seasoning, or garlic to taste.
4. Add your preferred toppings. To make as pictured: Drizzle on some extra-virgin olive oil, then lightly layer with pine nuts, lemon zest, za’atar seasoning, and chopped fresh chives, basil, and oregano.
5. Serve with pita bread, pita chips, naan, or flatbread.
Recipe and photographs courtesy of Amy Ortiz
A superfan of our superfood supplement, Amy Ortiz is a photographer, food blogger, and content creator in Asheville, NC. She enjoys living a simple yet enriching life on a farm, raising a multicultural family, and cooking wholesome and delicious homemade food. Amy is the creator of the Señora Amy Ortiz blog, which features an assortment of authentic recipes from around the world and her own original culinary creations. She is also the creator of Spicy Grandmas—a YouTube Channel series—where she learns to cook from the world's most endearing and daring grandmothers.